Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Pearl

We had a great disscussion in class today about the character Pearl from the March. Ny take on Pearl is that she harder to understand the more you look into her. She is a black woman, and as one would think she would have no relationship with white people, but she does though. I believe the man named Steve, who is the guy pearl had an inter racial realtioship with is more dependent on her then she is on him. I think that most of the class today thought the opposite though for many reasons. the biggest one that came to my mind is that pearl is afaraid in a way of what might happen to her because of the fact she is married to Steve. This can be looked at as a weakness, but can also be seen as a character builder by the end of the book. throughout the book i didnt really like pearl that much. She never really knew what to do with herself, and was always getting weaker mentally. I feel by the end though, pearl actually did find what she wanted. i feel that instead of her being at her weakest point, Steve was instead. The ending of the novel was pretty dissapointing in my mind, i knew how Pearl and a few of the other characters were goign to end up. I think the ending was actually a lot like Ragtime.

No comments: