Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Daniel
When I hear about how Daniel is abusive toward some of the only people in his life that care about him, I think of it as a big psychological problem that dates back form when he was a child. Hearing about Phylis and his small son getting abused is almost disturbing. the reason I think its horrible is because he dosent try to make an excuse or any reason up for what he is doing to his family. I htink that Daniels childhood made him this way though. I went on the internet and searches for people have have abusive problems, and what it stems from. Almost all of the articles that I read had to do with either drinking problems, or psychological problems dating back from the abuse that they recieved in past years. I think Daniel cant control himself and takes up a lot of the built up anxiety and pain from his past out on his wife and child. I find it hard to put this all inot reality, and even harder to try too telate to the narrator like I normally would in any other book. For example I think its horrible how he forced Phyllis inot carrying out all sorts of sexual acts to him and even bunt her with a cigarette lighter. I think Daniel is a very sick indivdual, even thoguh I know its fiction, it just angers me reading how horrible he treats people that love him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was also interested in this aspect of the book, and am just now writing a paper about violence for my Libs class. In my research I found the same thing, that abuse stems in a person from either psychological problems, or a past abuse. How sad is that cycle?
Post a Comment